Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Class, class, class

My first post here and I'm very excited because I started a sculpting class today with Rebecca Schumacher (Rebas-Art)! She's teaching an online class at joggles.com on sculpting with Aves Apoxie Sculpt. I figured I'd set up this blog mostly to just document what I'm doing there, how the class is going, and post pics as I go.

Nope, I don't really have anything to post yet, other than my enthusiasm. Though I did get most of my supplies today. One thing is on order (the most important material, the Apoxie Sculpt), but I pretty much have everything else. It should be here by the end of the week.

Why this class? Well, to start, I LOVE Rebecca's work. Plus, I've heard nothing but good things about her as a teacher. I actually emailed her prior to signing up for the class and she's a real sweetheart. Although I haven't used AS (Apoxie Sculpt) much and didn't enjoy working with it when I did, I'm not sure I had good techniques down for working with it and I really think the possibilites of a sculpting medium like this are very good. Plus, it's supposed to be extremely strong when it's cured--one thing I'm not thrilled about with air-dry clay, or even polymer. So I'm hoping that I can learn techniques for working with the AS that will make it a pleasure.

What am I hoping to learn? Everything I can. Starting from the ground up in creating a sculpted figure. My armatures work but could probably use some beefing up (make them stronger and more functional, really). I'm also very keen on learning painting techniques since we're using a single color for the sculpture and my painting skills could use a lot of work. In fact, the painting aspect is one reason I've stuck with polymer clay for so long. I know how to work with the clay colors but need a lot of work and instruction on working with paints to color a piece properly.

And now, I'm onto other things for the time being.

No comments: